Not too long ago, Japanese singers ASCA and Mikiha (幹葉) of spira spica (スピラ・スピカ) took the stage at Plenary Hall, KL Convention Centre for their joint concert at Comic Fiesta 2023. Fans were on their feet throughout the night and sang along to basically every word, especially during the theme songs of their favourite animes.
On day 1 of the anime/cosplay event, we got the chance to sit down and chat with the two headliners about their work, their time in Malaysia and their highlights of 2023. Here’s what we found out:
1. It’s their first time performing in Malaysia
Both ASCA and spira spica have made a name for themselves in Japan and have performed in numerous countries pre-COVID but the Comic Fiesta event was the first time they got to sing for their Malaysian fans. They even shared that before coming to the country, they had received messages from fans who were eager to see them live.
2. Mikiha of spira spica was among the Comic Fiesta crowd
“I’m so happy!”, said the lead singer of the popular Japanese band. Mikiha revealed that she was walking around outside the event’s venue to take in the atmosphere when a fan recognised her. The artist was so excited that she was recognised that she gave the lucky fan a handshake on the spot. A heartwarming interaction that many would do anything to experience!
3. ASCA felt she was not worthy to sing songs for “Sword Art Online” anime?
However, when she received the call that her music would be featured in the anime, she questioned whether she was worthy of the experience. Nevertheless, she was very excited to be involved in the project as the anime itself has influenced her own music, so naturally, she wouldn’t turn down the opportunity and we’re sure glad that she made that decision!
4. Comic Fiesta as preparation for the upcoming SACRA MUSIC FES 2024
Apart from their original music, both ASCA and spira spica have written and performed countless anime songs so Comic Fiesta was the perfect opportunity for them to better prepare themselves for the SACRA MUSIC FES 2024 happening this February.
For ASCA, she wanted to test the waters and see fans’ reactions to certain tracks which would then allow her to carefully select songs for her set for the upcoming festival. For spira spica, Mikiha shared that during their live talk stage earlier on Day 1 of Comic Fiesta, they played games with fans and considered including it during the band’s set for the next concert.
5. Highlights of 2023
- ASCA: The singer revealed that the first highlight was her recovery from surgery on her vocal cords. During that time, the singer learned how she could not live without music and singing and started to appreciate her work more. Her second highlight was being able to perform overseas as much as she did throughout the year. Her third was when she got to perform in Brazil as it was the furthest she’s ever travelled.
- spira spica: Mikiha’s 1st highlight was similar to one of ASCA’s as she and her band got to perform overseas many times last year. Her second highlight was when she performed the opening theme of “My Dress-up Darling” at an event and watched the fireworks show with the voice actors of the anime series. Her third highlight was more personal as she finally got to go fishing, something she’d always wanted to try.
Don’t forget to catch both ASCA and spira spica at the SACRA MUSIC FEST 2024 on 3rd February at Zepp KL! Click here to book your tickets now!