For most people, marriage only happens once in their lifetime. That is why people tend to make the most of their big day, like holding a grand wedding ceremony to celebrate their new chapter together. While most couples want to create unforgettable memories, this newlyweds went a little too far by causing inconvenience to others just to get the perfect wedding photos.
For the past week, Taiwanese group Mayday (五月天), had been holding six consecutive concerts in Beijing’s national stadium. However, no one expected to see a couple dressed in their wedding attire with the intention to snap wedding photos at the rock concert. The incident on 28th May soon went viral online.
After the wedding photos were taken, the woman posted the results while captioning it, “I wore a wedding dress to watch Mayday.” Her original plan was to travel to various key locations in her wedding dress for the photoshoot. However, her mother was against the idea. So, she decided to make Mayday and the concert audience the background for her wedding photos instead.
According to netizens who went to the concert, this happened when Mayday was performing one of their classic song, “Fool (憨人)”. This song was greatly anticipated by fans because the main singer, Ashin (陈信宏), would normally interact with the audience mid song. During that segment of the song, the newlyweds ran towards a lit open space in the middle of the concert venue and started posing.
Those in the free standing zone saw what the couple were doing and started cheering them on. They even urge them to smooch by chanting, “Kiss! Kiss! Kiss!“. However, this commotion disrupted the ongoing performance and several concert-goers were annoyed at this stunt.
A day after the concert, the woman posted an apology message expressing her regret for interrupting the concert with her wedding photo session. In the post, she also clarified some of the guesses netizens had made.
- “I didn’t buy scalped tickets, I got the tickets by pure luck.”
- “I did not create another account just to scold people in dm-s, I only replied to those who gave me their blessings.”
- “You can be mad at me, but please don’t bring my family into this.”
- “Our seats were the last row in the inner area of the venue. We did not sneak in there from the upper platform.”
- “It wasn’t a proposal. I thought it was a good opportunity for photos.”
In order to calm netizens down, she eventually took down her first post, and commented below her apology post, “I deleted it, is everyone happy now?” Her tone in this comment further angered netizens.
Upon reading about this incident, netizens had split opinions. Some said that being proposed to under the witness of their idol is truly a dream come true. Whereas, others think that proposing in a concert is really inappropriate, and criticised the couple for being self-centred.
- “People spend money for concerts to see their idols and listen to their songs, not to watch you be proposed to. What’s more is that you staged this wedding photograph session and still did not want to admit it. I reckon your marriage will end in a divorce eventually.”
- “You had no respect so you don’t deserve blessings. Such self-centred behaviour has affected audience’s experience. Mayday’s concert tickets are so expensive, and it is not bought to watch your staged photoshoot. Please show some respect to Mayday and their fans, okay?”
- Stop trying to ‘steal the spotlight’. People go there to enjoy the concert, not to watch someone else publicly display their affection.”