K-pop fans were feeling psyched for the weekend because the long-awaited Megacon Kpop Mega Concert had been scheduled for Saturday (27th May). The concert promised to bring in Korean artists like Super Junior, Viviz and Teen Top, as well as singer Ribbon Ooi (黄若熙) and DJ Noize Faktor together for an epic performance.
Unfortunately, earlier this morning (26th May), concert organisers Starex Global dropped an unexpected bombshell. As it turns out, the concert has been cancelled! Fans were left unhappy and disappointed, and they aren’t the only ones. Even local artist Ribbon Ooi has taken to her socials to express her dismay.
The announcement was posted to all Starex Global socials around 12.49am. “Dear participants, we regret to inform that the Megacon Kpop Mega Concert which (was) scheduled to be held on 27th May 2023 at Surf Beach, Sunway Lagoon, Kuala Lumpur is forced to be cancelled due to flight ticket issues for the Korean artists,” the announcement read.
Starex Global also promised that they would be refunding the tickets, and requested for patience as they started the process. However, the unexpected update has left many furious with the organisers, especially since this is the second time they have failed to hold the promised concert. Previously, Megacon Kpop Mega Concert had been postponed from 18th February to 27th May.
Well, it seems the blindsided feeling isn’t exclusive to the fans. Shortly after the announcement, local artist Ribbon Ooi took to her own socials to air her grievances. “In less than 40 hours till the concert, the organiser contacted my agency and we were told that the concert is going to be cancelled due to unforeseen circumstances,” Ribbon shared.
The 27-year-old added that she wasn’t clear what had happened, nor did she know what went wrong. “It is indeed very saddening to my team and I as we were training very hard to give the audience our (best) performance,” Ribbon shared. Indeed, the artist had been hyping her fans up via her socials in the days leading up to the formerly promised concert.
Ribbon also claimed that the earlier postponement too had been attributed to the Korean artists. “The reason (for the postponement) seems to have been (a) schedule or visa issue of one of the Korean groups. The information I received wasn’t very clear,” she stated. But she hadn’t been as upset with the extended time then as she viewed it as extra prep time which gave her the chance to finesse her performance.
“My parents bought their plane tickets, (and) my friends were also planning to visit me on Saturday,” the artist said, adding her fans too were looking forward to seeing her onstage again. But the concert’s cancellation has changed all plans. “I’m so sad I failed everyone. I still don’t know what happened,” she lamented.
However, Ribbon did give the Megacon Kpop Mega Concert organisers the benefit of doubt. “I think it may not be so simple, but we have already received the payment for the performance,” she shared. “As to what exactly happened, I still have no clue at the moment. Of course, it doesn’t seem important to talk about this now.” The artist added that she hopes to meet her fans again on another stage.
Well, our sympathies to all who were left disappointed. Hopefully fans will receive their refunds soon, so they can save up that money for another concert.
Sources: Facebook, Instagram, China Press, Xuan
Follow us on Instagram, Facebook or Telegram for more updates and breaking news.