“I lovе you till the death, You’re a bullеt in my chest” – that’s our favourite lyrics from Towa Bird’s latest single, titled “Wild Heart”. Her debut single under Interscope Records sees the half-Filipino, half-English artist reflecting on love and independence.
In working with Thomas Powers from New Zealand-bred indie-pop band The Naked and Famous, who is also her main collaborator on the LP, Towa Bird says that “Wild Heart” is the perfect introduction her debut album’s combustible sound and unguarded introspection.
“It’s energetic and bold, but also incredibly vulnerable and soul-baring — more of that to come,” Towa explains. “I wanted this song to be something to dance to, but also show you parts of me that you’ve never seen before. The song is about personal growth within my romantic relationships and addresses my past self and actions I’ve taken. I’m personified as a reckless cowboy who meets a girl, gets caught in her grip, and — to his surprise — becomes completely devoted to her. It illustrates the person that I once was and the person I’ve grown into not nearly perfect, but definitely not as much of an asshole.”
Here are some of the feedback from fans:
- This song feels like driving on a highway with the windows down in the middle of summer together with your partner and friends.
- Stuck in my head until I can’t fall asleep. A real hit. No doubt about it.
- Love the atmosphere, love the way your voice fits the music, love the references, love the way the guitars and the bass sound. Hope it’ll get a lot of success: it deserves the best!
- Waiting for #StrangerThings5 to adopt this song in their finale.
- The ‘indiana jones last crusade’ line was pretty dope.
With her debut record due out later this year, fans can expect more intimate exploration of queerness, identity, and the complexities of love from the 24-year-old artist 😉