Chinese New Year festivities are upon us – and only add to the slew of exciting events already on hand across Greater Kuala Lumpur. Keep your Year of the Rabbit high going by partaking in the following list of activities sure to amuse and amaze you.
From an art gallery show to a party at a swanky hotel – here are eight events you can dive into this week:
1. Malaysian Philharmonic Orchestra
Date: 28th January
Location: Dewan Filharmonik PETRONAS, KLCC
As part of its 25th anniversary celebration, the Malaysian Philharmonic Orchestra (MPO) will offer a concert titled MPO Goes Broadway, which will be filled with the glitter, drama, dancing, and enchantment of many timeless Broadway masterpieces. The evening’s performance will include a 25-minute sequence from West Side Story called Symphonic Dances; as well as Lloyd Webber’s The Phantom of the Opera Suite. The live orchestra, conducted by Gerard Salonga, will be supported by prominent vocalists Izen Kong, Sean Ghazi, YiLing Chaing, and Ida Mariana. Book your tickets to the thrilling and amazing MPO night here.
2. The Hanya Satu Exhibition
Date: Now until 22nd March
Time: 9am – 5pm
Location: National Art Gallery
Everyone has a collection of personal experiences. The Hanya Satu gallery features a piece that references the artist Red Hong Yi’s personal recollection of a photograph taken while residing in Longtang, Shanghai. ‘Once Upon A Longtang’ is an installation consisting of eight works constructed from calligraphy paper.
3. KL Collectors Market CNY Edition
Date: 28th – 29th January
Time: 10am – 9pm
Location: KL Gateway Mall
Revel in the Year of the Rabbit by shopping for cool collectibles at KL Collectors Market CNY at KL Gateway Mall. Special pop culture toys, antiques, records, music memorabilia, collectibles, vintage apparel, shoes, and other treasures will be available at the KL Collectors Market CNY Edition. Don’t pass up this opportunity to score awesome items!
4. Lubok Flea Market
Date: 27th – 29th January
Time: 10am – 9pm
A flea market like no other, Lubok Flea Market is your go-to pop-up destination for anything and everything vintage. From antiques and preloved books, to clothing bundles and even numismatic, you can certainly score a few hidden gems that will make your shopping experience a one-of-a-kind adventure!
5. Social Sunday
Date: 29th January
Location: WET Deck at W Hotel Kuala Lumpur
What’s better than tan lines and good fun on a leisurely Sunday afternoon? Relax by the pool and spend your Sunday afternoon with amazing people, delicious food, and, of course, wonderful music. In the centre of KL City, with amazing views of the Twin Towers, mingle, laugh, and even dive into the pool at the trendiest location in town. The Social Sunday will feature music from Howie Lee, Kaiza, Azran, Dora, Nadia, Irama, Victor G, and Calvin Clarke, allowing you to groove all night.
6. Gong Sea Bunnies
Date: Now until 5th February
Time: 10am – 7pm
Location: Aquaria KLCC
Aquaria KLCC is celebrating Chinese New Year with the introduction of Gong Sea Bunnies! Expect incredible activities, such as its iconic Underwater Lion Dance and a visit by the God of Prosperity. There will also be unique redemptions, such as exclusive Gong Sea Bunnies angpau packets for every ticket purchased and when you spend at the Atlantis retail store, as well as pop-sockets. Aquaria KLCC also features a Hoppy House to commemorate the Year of the Water Rabbit. Hop your way to Aquaria KLCC for a magical and jawsome Chinese New Year!
1. One&Only Desaru Coast
Location: One&Only Desaru Coast
Want to spend the holidays guilt-free? Visit One&Only Desaru Coast to unwind and relax at the seaside paradise for a sumptuous and joyous occasion. Join the abundant beginnings with a spectacular gourmet feast and an amazing lineup of activities for a once-in-a-lifetime event.
2. Bonia Chinese New Year Sale
Date: Now to 31st January
Time: 10am – 10pm
Location: Genting Highlands Premium Outlets
Spend your hard-earned ka-ching at Genting Highlands Premium Outlets where homegrown accessories brand, BONIA, is holding a massive Chinese New Year sale. The brand is running an incredible promotion that lets you get up to RM188 back when you spend upwards of RM1,200! This Lunar New Year, shop like there’s no tomorrow at BONIA.
3. Entertaining Apps for CNY
Apple store has curated a list of fun apps to keep you entertained throughout this CNY. Here are some recommendations to check out:
- Up your photo & video editing game: Send your festive greetings with Canva‘s 50 new Rabbit-themed designs or edit your best shots on the Picsart AI photo editor (by adding stickers or swapping backgrounds etc).
- IRL multiplayer fun: Bring friends and family together with games everyone can enjoy like the ever-popular strategy game of teamwork and betrayal, Among Us! to the fun and hilarious charades game, Heads Up! or the mobile version of the highly-strategic, kitty-powered version of Russian Roulette, Exploding Kittens.
- For the kiddos: Sago Mini World: Kids Games offers hours of creative, interactive play; Toca Life World: Build a Story allows you to design and play your own characters, while the ever-popular PAW Patrol Rescue World gives you the opportunity to select your favourite PAW Patrol pup and save the day in Adventure Bay.
- 30 Day Fitness – Home Workout: Post CNY, you’ll definitely be looking to burn those extra calories you’ve been consuming. Thanks to 30 Day Fitness, you can get access to fitness plans and HQ video workout tutorials to keep you motivated.