For all that we like to talk about ‘being responsible’, it isn’t something many people like to do. Especially, when being responsible or taking responsibility, could easily land you in hot water. Doesn’t mean we shouldn’t do it though.
A Singaporean mother had planned a lovely outing for her family on Sunday (22nd May). However, instead of ending on a joyous note, it ended in tears and frustration. This was in part, thanks to some people being inconsiderate and irresponsible at a Burger King restaurant.
Mrs. Lim had merely wanted to treat her kids after a long week. Her family of four had visited a water themed playground at Coastal Playgrove, along with her parents, sister-in-law and her nephew. They had a good time there before deciding to head to the nearby Burger King for dinner. Unfortunately, that was where things started going wrong.
While waiting for their food, Mrs. Lim and her sister-in-law heard a loud bang from where their family was seated. Upon rushing over, Mrs. Lim was shocked to discover that a fire extinguisher had activated, spraying her 23-month-old daughter, nephew and mom. Apparently, a young boy had been playing with the extinguisher prior to the incident.
The smoke had badly affected the two kids. “My girl, who just started talking (with) proper words barely a month ago, was mumbling “itchy itchy” while rubbing her eyes,” Mrs. Lim recounted in her Facebook post. “My nephew was rubbing his eye frantically and his eye turned red.” While they were trying to help the children, two men came over claiming that their child was mischievous but that the incident was “a small matter”. Mrs Lim was further incensed when the duo attempted to leave the place.
As her family had been affected, Mrs. Lim called the police to handle matters. While waiting, she realised that the Burger King staff had not come to see what the problem was although it had been 20 minutes since. She demanded for the manager and her husband later chided them for their inaction.
To her surprise, the manager excused themselves by claiming they had a long queue and couldn’t help. “Moreover, the safety pin (of the extinguisher) was missing and hence, not the restaurant’s fault,” the manager reportedly said. However, photos showed the pin hanging by the side of the extinguisher.
Mrs. Lim wasn’t happy with the manager shifting the blame. Additionally, he didn’t offer them any assistance or medical attention. Mrs. Lim also claimed that she had asked the staff for water, which never came. After the paramedics and the police had tended to them, the family decided to take their food to-go. That was when Mrs. Lim discovered the restaurant had short-changed them too. Several items were missing although they had paid the full amount.
Some netizens agreed with Mrs. Lim that both the restaurant and the other family were to blame. Several advised her to sue. However, others felt she had overreacted, reprimanding her for shouting at the staff. “Next time, (if you) need assistance, approach and request, don’t shout at the staff. (It’s) basic manners. Your baby is only precious to you. To most people, it’s just a piece of breathing meat,” one comment stated.
Another netizen even claimed she was entitled, stating it was a ‘trait’ of Singapore. “That’s the reason that you people are known or have established a reputation as complain king/queens! A nation of complainers and cry babies!” it read.
The kids were deemed fine as the powder from the fire extinguisher is supposedly harmless. However, Mrs. Lim and her family were advised to be on the look out for adverse reactions. We hope Mrs. Lim can get the issue settled soon!
hope they can settle amicably#peaceandlove
Follow us on Telegram for more updates and breaking news: https://t.me/hypemsia