Netflix held its first-ever global fan event, TUDUM, over the weekend. Thanks to hosts Super Junior’s Kim Hee-chul and EXO’s Kim Jong-in (better known as Kai), Hallyu fans were treated with a ton of K-content.
Over the next few months (from now till February), here 9 new Korean shows that will be debuting on the streaming platform – ranging from action-packed thrillers to K-dramas, and even exciting reality shows. Scroll down for more:
1. “My Name”
- Release Date: 15th October 2021
- Starring: Han So-hee, Park Hee-soon, Ahn Bo-hyun, Kim Sang-ho, Lee Hak-ju, Jang Yull et al.
- Directed by: Kim Jin-min
- Description: “My Name” is a Netflix series that tells the tale of Jiwoo who joins a crime ring to find her father’s killer. She ends up taking on a new name and identity in order to join the police undercover, which leads her to discover the cruel truth. Director Kim Jin-min who was praised for his excellent directing of “Extracurricular”, takes on the noir genre through his next series “My Name”. With realistic and gritty scenes, “My Name” is a new type of action noir that brings the characters’ emotions to life and depicts raw action. Furthermore, a great ensemble cast is found in Han So-hee, Park Hee-soon, Ahn Bo-hyun, Kim Sang-ho, Lee Hak-ju, and Jang Yull.
- Release Date: November 2021
- Directed by: Yeon Sang-ho
- Starring: Yoo Ah-in, Kim Hyun-joo, Park Jeong-min, Won Jin-a, Yang Ik-june, Kim Do-yoon, Kim Shin-rock, Ryu Kyung-soo, Lee Re et al.
- Description: “Hellbound” features supernatural beings suddenly appearing and condemning people to hell. In the midst of the chaos, a religious group called The New Truth gains prominence and influence while others seek the truth behind the supernatural events. Described as “your next must-binge Netflix series from Korea” following its screening at the 46th Toronto International Film Festival, “Hellbound” is receiving worldwide attention and has also been invited to the 26th Busan International Film Festival as well as the 65th BFI London Film Festival. The unique and thought-provoking series about condemnations to hell taking place in the middle of Seoul, is based on a webtoon of the same name. Director Yeon Sang-ho and writer Choi Gyu-seok created the webtoon and reunited to work together on the series as well. There’s also an all-star cast starring Yoo Ah-in, Kim Hyun-joo, Park Jeong-min, Won Jin-a, Yang Ik-june, Kim Do-yoon, Kim Shin-rock, Ryu Kyung-soo, and Lee Re.
3. “The Silent Sea”
- Release Date: December 2021
- Starring: Bae Doona, Gong Yoo et al.
- Directed by: Choi Hang-yong
- Description: Set in 2075 when Earth is undergoing desertification, “The Silent Sea” is the story of the members of a special team sent to secure a mysterious sample from an abandoned research facility on the moon. The series is adapted from Director Choi Hang-yong’s short film “The Sea of Tranquility” which received much attention at the 2014 Mise-en-scène Short Film Festival. Director Choi Hang-yong leads the series with the script being written by Park Eun-kyo of “Mother” which won Best Screenplay at the 29th Korean Association of Film Critics Awards. Actor Jung Woo-sung is the executive producer and the main leads are Bae Doona and Gong Yoo. A suspenseful story about survival on the moon is in store.
4. “Juvenile Justice”
- Release Date: January 2022
- Starring: Kim Hye-soo, Kim Moo-yul, Lee Sung-min, Lee Jung-eun et al.
- Directed by: Hong Jong-chan
- Description: “Juvenile Justice” deals with a judge who especially dislikes juvenile delinquents, but later realises the troubles that children face in society and how society is limiting them to not become better. Director Hong Jong-chan who directed “Live Up to Your Name”, “Dear My Friends”, and “Life”, sends a message about juvenile delinquency and social neglect through this new series. Talented actors Kim Hye-soo, Kim Moo-yul, Lee Sung-min, and Lee Jung-eun will act as associate and head judges at youth court, portraying the everyday lives and concerns of judges. Kim Hye-soo portrays elite judge Sim Eun-seok who is astute and cool-headed. Kim Moo-yul portrays judge Cha Tae-ju who is warm-hearted toward the youth offenders. Lee Sung-min portrays head judge Kang Won-jung who is ambitious and experiences conflict between reality and idealism. Lee Jung-eun portrays another head judge named Na Geun-hui. “Juvenile Justice” is produced by Gill Pictures (“Stove League”), and co-produced by GTist (“Hotel Del Luna”).
5. “All of Us Are Dead”
- Release Date: January 2022
- Starring: Yoon Chan-young, Park Ji-hoo, Cho Yi-hyun, Lomon, Yoo In-soo et al.
- Directed by: Lee JQ, Kim Nam-su
- Description: “All of Us Are Dead” is about a group of high school students who are faced with an extreme crisis when they become trapped in their school, while a zombie virus spreads like a wildfire. It’s based on the chart-topping Korean webtoon called “Now at Our School” (literal translation of its Korean title). Director Lee JQ of dramas “Beethoven Virus”, “Damo: The Legendary Police Woman”, and the film “Intimate Strangers”, directs the series with screenwriter Cheon Sung-il of “L.U.C.A.: The Beginning” writing the script. Rising actors Yoon Chan-young, Park Ji-hoo, Cho Yi-hyun, Lomon, and Yoo In-soo make up the promising cast.
6. “Love & Leashes”
- Release Date: February 2022
- Starring: Seohyun, Lee Jun-young
- Directed by: Park Hyun-jin
- Description: “Love & Leashes” is a film about a woman named Jung Ji-woo who leads a racy romance by engaging in a “special” relationship with her co-worker Jung Ji-hoo after she accidentally learns about his secret peculiarities. Director Park Hyun-jin of “Lovers of Six Years” and “Like for Likes”, brings a new type of fun romance through “Love & Leashes”, writing the screenplay and directing the film herself. Seohyun, who has proven her acting range through “Moon Lovers: Scarlet Heart Ryeo”, “Time”, and “Private Lives”, will transform into Jung Ji-woo, a character who is cold and blunt on the outside but has a warm heart and charm unlike anyone else. Performing outstandingly across an array of genres in “D.P.”, the musical “Swag Age: Shout”, “Chosun!”, and “Please Don’t Date Him”, rising star Lee Jun-young will play the role of Jung Ji-hoo, a man with unusual tastes. Lee Jun-young will add vibrancy and excitement in the role as his character’s charm and figure, adored by his female co-workers, hide his secret and unique taste. The pair will show how their differences result in a special romance through their exciting chemistry.
7. “Paik’s Spirit”
- Release Date: 1st October 2021
- Starring: Paik Jong-won
- Directed by: Park Hee-yeon, Lee Eun-kyung, Kwak Chung-a, and Lee Jong-hyuk
- Description: In “Paik’s Spirit”, Paik Jong-won will sit down with Korea’s top celebrities and professionals for dining and drinking, and exchange intriguing and heartwarming stories of drinking and life. Paik is well known for his gift of gab and charming manner that has delighted Korean audiences for years. As Korea’s top restaurateur and F&B entrepreneur, Paik Jong-won is loved by audiences from his shows “Home Food Rescue” and “Street Food Fighter”. “Paik’s Spirit” will provide viewers a unique introduction to Korean traditional liquor, food, and culture. Soju, along with commercial and craft beer, rice wines, and other traditional liquors will be featured. Furthermore, sincere stories from individuals working in different fields will share heartfelt and sincere stories.
8. “New World”
- Release Date: November 2021
- Starring: Lee Seung-gi, Eun Ji-won, Kim Hee-chul, Cho Bo-ah, Park Na-rae, Kai (EXO)
- Directed by: Cho Hyo-jin, Go Min-seok
- Description: “New World” is a new type of variety show that sets up a utopia-esque simulation where unexpected events, survival missions, competitions, and twists take place. Six entertainers are invited to this new world: Lee Seung-gi who is talented in acting, singing, and variety. Eun Ji-won who is a beloved member of shows like “2 Days & 1 Night” and “New Journey to the West”. Kim Hee-chul who is a talented emcee and a cast member of “Men on a Mission” and “The Iron Squad”. Cho Bo-ah who received much love for her acting in “Tale of the Nine Tailed”. Park Na-rae who greeted global viewers as a successful entertainer through Netflix stand-up show “Park Na-rae: Glamour Warning”. Kai who is a member of the popular K-pop group EXO and a verified variety scene stealer through his memorable appearance on “Men on a Mission”. These multi-talented members will show off fun team dynamics through “New World”.
9. “The Hungry and the Hairy”
- Release Date: December 2021
- Starring: RAIN (Jihoon Jung), Ro Hong-chul
- Directed by: Kim Tae-ho, Jang Woo-sung, Lee Joo-won
- Description: Kim Tae-ho’s new unscripted series “The Hungry and the Hairy” stars RAIN (Jihoon Jung) as “the Hungry” and Ro Hong-chul as “the Hairy” in a motorbike road trip adventure. Both celebs share a love for motorbikes which sparked their friendship. “The Hungry and the Hairy” will show off their real friend chemistry while showing their very different fashion senses and travel styles. Viewers can live vicariously through them and admire beautiful sights, enjoy delicious food, and experience healing. Musician Lee Sang-soon contributes as the music director, providing music that perfectly matches the marvelous views to delight our eyes and ears. “The Hungry and the Hairy” will satisfy the five senses along with a lot of fun and many laughs.
Images by Netflix.