We’re still heartbroken that Regé-Jean Page won’t be reprising his role as Simon Basset aka the Duke of Hastings, rest assured that there will be some new characters to get excited about.
As you may know, each new season will be based on a different book from the series. That means the spotlight will shift from one Bridgerton child to another. For “Bridgerton” season 2, it was all about the late Bridgerton patriarch, Edmund Bridgerton (played by Jonathan Bailey).
In speaking to Variety’s Awards Circuit podcast, Phoebe Dynevor shared, “The show centres around the Bridgertons and there are eight books. I think maybe the fans of the books were more aware of that happening than the fans of the show. I think fans of the books know that every episode is about a different sibling. And we’re very much passing the baton to the lovely Johnny, who plays Anthony. Obviously it’s sad to to see [Page] go but I’m looking forward to being reunited with my family.”
Production is currently underway for season 2, but “Bridgerton” has already been renewed for season 3 and 4 as well. In addition, Queen Charlotte will be getting her own prequel. The spinoff will not only focus on the royal’s ascension to the throne, but also feature a young Violet Bridgerton and young Lady Danbury.
But let’s not get ahead of ourselves… Let’s meet the new cast:
Simone Ashley as Kate Sharma
- You may remember her from: Netflix’s “Sex Education”
- She’s portraying: The highly eligible Anthony’s true love interest
- Characteristics: Kate is described as a smart, headstrong London newcomer “who suffers no fools — Anthony very much included.”
Charithra Chandran as Edwina Sharma
- She’s portraying: Kate’s younger sister
- Characteristics: She is described as “kind-natured and endlessly endearing.”
Shelley Conn as Mary Sharma
- You may remember her from: “Terra Nova”
- She’s portraying: Lady Mary Sharma, Kate and Edwina’s stepmother
- What to expect: Lady Mary returns to London following a family scandal and has to endure the scrutiny of the public yet again.
Calam Lynch as Theo Sharpe
Rupert Young as Jack
- You may remember him from: “Merlin” (series)
- Jack is a brand-new character, who isn’t in the books. However we do know that he has a connection to a notable family.
- Rumour has it that: He’s the person who inherited the Featherington estate after Lord Featherington’s passing.
Source: Pop Sugar.