K-Pop idols have been facing a lot of issues lately and it isn’t likely to stop anytime soon. From bullying allegations, stalker situations, and mistreatment from their companies, there’s a lot to take in.
Recently, Oh My Girl’s (오마이걸) Seunghee (승희) has been facing some hardships. The K-Pop idol was recently a target of Korean rapper Tank, who made a diss track directed at the artist.
Thankfully, WM Entertainment is taking legal action against the rapper after the release of the diss track. On 8th March, the Korean entertainment company took to its official fan site to clarify Tank’s new track “Suni” was about Seunghee.
The agency also announced how the Oh My Girl idol was affected badly by the baseless claims found in the lyrics. Clearly, the idol is being harassed by the rapper. The song pretty much contains provocative lyrics of an “innocent-looking idol” but with a terrible personality.
More disturbingly, the cover image of Tank’s song features Seunghee’s blurred-out face. The photo itself was taken during Seunghee’s photoshoot with Dispatch. Her name wasn’t mentioned in the title track but the intention was crystal clear.
Tank’s lyrics suggest that Seunghee was being rude to people around her including ignoring greetings from people. The rapper later stated that the idol had badmouthed fromis_9’s (프로미스) Hayoung (하영) for not greeting her.
The lyrics also contain messages of Seunghee talking about her sex life and the idol dissing her own fans by labeling them as “smelly and ugly”.
According to WM Entertainment, Seunghee and Tank had a senior-junior relationship in the music world. Moreover, both the idol and rapper also attended Korean Arts High School together. But after the female idol helped him, he viewed her actions differently and their relationship turned for the worst. He clearly became too obsessed with the Oh My Girl idol and started sending weird and obsessive messages to her.
Here are six clarifications from the agency:
1. On 7th December last year, Tank messaged Seunghee and his other former classmates a few times that he was going to commit suicide. The texts also showed a suicide note and a message stating that he had a knife on his desk. Tank often showed an unstable mental state, so Seunghee took it as a signal that he was going to kill himself. She wanted to save his life by calling an older female acquaintance of Tank to explain the situation. The acquaintance immediately reported the situation to the police.
2. Both Seunghee and the acquaintance went to the scene as the idol was concerned that Tank might attempt suicide once again. The Oh My Girl idol offered him some encouragement to show him that he’s someone who can be loved enough by anyone. This was Seunghee’s effort to stop Tank from trying to kill himself again.
3. Even after trying to help Tank, the rapper became obsessed by giving his psychiatric and medical records to Seunghee on the grounds that he was saved from death. He claimed that Seunghee is medicine to him and told her that she needs to stay by his side and help him heal. Tank then gave the word ‘love’ many kinds of interpretations by sending obsessive messages and bringing his one-sided crush to a one-sided courtship.
4. Since his feelings were not reciprocated, the rapper sent a threatening message that he would soon commit suicide and the whole world would never forget Seunghee forever.
5. On 7th December 2020, Seungee started complaining of a serious panic disorder that affected her schedule because of mental pain and anxiety. Tank might be her senior, but she has cut off contact with him, She decided not to interact with him any longer.
6. Tank then started posting videos and photos of false claims throughout social media and his YouTube channel.
WM Entertainment also stated that Tank had also been harassing his acquaintances and other artists other than Seunghee. He did so by sending videos and messages indicating suicide attempts and complaining about mental distress.
The Korean entertainment company concluded their statement by stating that they will take legal action against the rapper without any leniency or agreement. This is due to the spreading of false information, intimidation, and violation of the artist’s personal rights.
Netizens were clearly unhappy and furious with Tank and left thousands of dislikes on his YouTube video featuring his diss track. He has now blocked comments, which most controversial YouTubers usually do when they face backlash.
Not too long ago, the Korean rapper posted a minute-length video, informing his subscribers that he is still under attack by haters. He even mentioned that he still stands with the LGBT community and would appreciate their support. This is probably a tactic to deflect from the current situation with Seunghee.
Of course, the video was met with more dislikes.