Kang Min-hyuk (강민혁) is best known as the drummer from the pop rock band CNBLUE. However, the 30-year-old musician has been establishing himself as a serious actor over the past decade.
“How to be Thirty” (아직 낫서른) marks Kang Min-hyuk’s first drama since being discharge from the military. Here he plays a popular tall figure with well-rounded looks and an admirable work ability. Thanks to iQiyi International, the South Korean gave some insight into his role as the handsome Lee Seung-yoo and how this series is a reflection of where he is in life right now.
1. Could you share more about your role in “How to be Thirty” with us?
I play the role of Lee Seung-yoo, the assistant manager of a publishing company. Webtoon writer Seo Ji-won was my first love when I was young, but we met by chance at work while turning 30.
2. In terms of personality and interests, how similar are you to your character Lee Seung-yoo?
I’ve never thought that we are similar. When I was acting, I thought a lot about what Lee Seung-yoo would do in that situation.
3. What is the most attractive or charming trait of your character?
He always has a confident look and tries to achieve something although he is not good at expressing himself. I think that’s attractive.
4. As Lee Seung-yoo works in a publishing company, how did you prepare for this role?
I analysed the script a lot and talked a lot with the director and Jung In-sun.
5. This is your first leading role in a romantic comedy. Were you nervous while preparing for it? What were some of the challenges you faced along the way while getting ready for the role?
Interestingly (enough), I hardly felt nervous. Actually, I enjoyed reading the script and it was so much fun to stay on the set.
6. This is your first collaboration with Jung In-sun for a TV drama. Could you tell us what working with her was like? What was your impression of her?
We met for the first time, but we were friends of the same age. We talked a lot and shared many things in common. Naturally, we quickly became close. I was so happy to work together with her and I hope I can collaborate with her again in another work.
7. In the drama, your character Lee Seung-yoo develops a romantic relationship with Jung In-sun’s character, Seo Ji-won. How did you build that chemistry with your co-star?
I think we talked a lot and thought about how to act and portray the situation together.
8. This series is based on a webtoon called “Born in 1985”. Before you accepted the role, did you know about the webtoon?
Personally, I didn’t know about it because I didn’t read webtoons often. I thought I had to read the original webtoon, but both the director and the scriptwriter strongly advised me not to read it, so I didn’t read it.
9. This is also your first project since returning from military service. Why did you decide to accept this role as your first project?
I decided to accept this role because I thought the worries about (being) 30, things that were happening, and every story in the drama could show my current situation very well.
10. Could you share your favourite scene from the drama? Without spoilers, of course. Why is that scene your favourite?
I like the scene where I talked about work with Seo Ji-won in front of the door and both (characters) expressed good feelings towards each other without hiding anything. I think it was a really nice scene to see (the) two characters interacting in that way.
11. Which day was the most memorable on the set of “How to be Thirty”, and why?
It’s hard to pick one because every moment on the set was so much fun. Still, it was difficult because (my character) Seung-yoo had to appear a lot at the beginning of the shooting on the first two days. But (the most memorable moment would probably be) when I was satisfied with the results while continuing to work.
12. What have you learned from starring in “How to be Thirty”, and how does this drama differ from your previous works?
It’s hard to say (what I’ve learned exactly). Rather, this drama differs from my previous works in that it provides me with an environment where the character and I are of the same age and we have some similar worries.
13. The series touches on reuniting with a first love from middle school. If your first love showed up as you were entering your 30s, what would your reaction be? How would you handle the situation?
I think it would be nice. But I don’t think I can do anything. When old emotions (resurface), it seems that the relationship will be naturally established even if (no one takes) any action.
14. “How to be Thirty” is about the work and love lives of people who have just entered their 30s. You will be turning 31 this year (according to your Korean age). What are some milestones in your life so far and what do you hope to achieve in the coming years?
Work and love are important, and I think it’s right to fight for both without regrets. I don’t think we have a fixed answer for this age and we don’t have to be burdened. I hope I can make choices with ease in my 30s.
15. Do you agree with the statement ‘Age is just a number’? How do you feel about turning 31 and how are you celebrating it?
I think it’s just a number. How do I feel? Time flies. I don’t think it’s really a big deal, but some people may be surprised to find that they are 30 years old. Rather than being congratulated just because I turned 30, I want to be congratulated when I become a better person.
16. If you could give advice to your younger self in his 20s, what advice would you give and why?
Do not worry too much about the future. Just live while enjoying the time given. I know it’s a time that never comes back. But I would want him to think and (firmly make decisions). It would be better to avoid situations where you’re forced to give up things.
17. Now that you have returned from your military service, how are you balancing your acting and music?
I just do it naturally. It is difficult to achieve balance even if I try. I think it is necessary to (be flexible and adapt) to the situation.
18. What message do you have for the audience about the series?
It is a series that focuses on the chemistry between actor Jung In-sun and actor Kang Min-hyuk. I think it will be a fun series for everyone who was 30, who is now 30, and who will be 30. It seems to be a story of strangers in their 30s and a drama that reminds us of the moments in the past. It’s a drama that many people can enjoy, so I hope you watch it a lot.
You can catch “How to be Thirty” on iQiyi platforms.