Many people love free stuff – even at the expense of their health. Just 2 days ago on Thursday (14th January), Putrajaya UMNO Youth thought that it was a good idea to hold a distribution event to give out free frozen chicken.
It is understood that approximately 2,000 chickens were being distributed outside an animal shelter in Presint 9, Putrajaya. As seen by the snapshots taken on that day, thousands showed up to get a free chicken.
Orang ramai serbu Presint 9, Putrajaya petang tadi untuk dapatkan ayam beku percuma.
2,000 ekor ayam beku disediakan Pusat Khidmat Ahli Parlimen Putrajaya dan Pemuda UMNO Putrajaya bagi bantu penduduk yang terkesan dengan PKP 2.0
Foto : Orang Awam pic.twitter.com/VeSNXZs7se
— Mohd Redzuan Abdul Manap (@redzuanNewsMPB) January 15, 2021
A Media Prima Berhad journalist by the name of Mohd Redzuan Abdul Manap uploaded several photos of people going ape and causing a huge congestion. There appeared to be endless line of cars and motorcycles at the scene, with almost zero social distancing.
People are already speculating that this event might result in a “Chicken cluster” in Putrajaya. Sinar Harian reported that nearly 2,000 Putrajaya residents were gathered at the scene at 4pm on Thursday.
Putrajaya UMNO Youth vice-chief Mohd Zushaidey Zulkifli assured Sinar Harian that the division had gotten the necessary approvals from the National Security Council and the police. “Initially, we planned to give each person two chickens each but given the number of people who came, we gave each person only one chicken,” he said.
Here are some comments about UMNO Youth and the people who showed up:
- “Your intention is good. But the implementation is wrong. If it’s intended just for Putrajaya people, maybe you can just spread it by group, and give the chicken from door to door.”
- “I wonder how they got permission to do this. Double Standards by the authorities! What’s the use of Emergency Declaration and MCO when authorities are allowing these kind of activities.”
- “Enact MCO 2.0 (which will derail the economy) in order to flatten the curve. Then organise a chicken giveaway to get a mass gathering and say “we didn’t expect such a response” (which shows you don’t understand your own constituent) and say “we got the necessary approvals” (it’s not my fault). Truly Malaysia Boleh.”
- “MCO. What a joke. If it’s work or emergency. I can understand. Free frozen chicken? What in the world…”
- “In a stunning display of next level stupidity, the chicken party tries to start a chicken cluster.“
We’re only a few days into MCO 2.0 and by the looks of it, MCO is here to stay.
Update (16th January, 5:43pm):
After much complaints, Putrajaya UMNO Youth has been slapped with a fine for their poor planning and execution of a “free frozen chicken distribution” programme.
Someone actually offered a good suggestion, which is to make use of delivery riders such as Grab and Foodpanda.
1. Work with Grab/FoodPanda/make your own app
2. Get ppl to order (guna cyber trooper to promo)
3. You guna mat rempit (/ahli politik?) ker sesiapa la nak volunteer. Nak bayar pon boleh.
4. Then repeat. Next time daging, kangkung, semua boleh edar
— Anura D (@seismac) January 16, 2021