Jackie Chan (成龍) previously posted a public service announcement video on coronavirus, urging the people in China (especially Wuhan) to overcome it.
The initial response was rather negative as many accused the 66-year-old actor of being all talk and no action. “Why haven’t you donated a cent even though you’re so rich?” netizens asked.
However on Tuesday (4th February), the martial arts superstar took to his Weibo account, saying, “Science and technology is key to overcoming the virus, and I believe many people have the same thought as me and hope that an antidote can be developed as soon as possible.”
“I have a ‘naive’ idea now. No matter which individual or organisation develops the antidote, I want to thank them with 1 million yuan (approx. RM591,000),” Jackie added. Having said that, he hopes that his good intention wouldn’t be misconstrued.
“This is not about money. I don’t want to see the once-bustling streets empty now and do not want to see my compatriots fighting a virus until some of them are dead when they should be enjoying life,” said the entertainer.
Jackie’s “Vanguard” was one of the Chinese New Year pulled from cinemas due to the coronavirus outbreak.