Sultan Abdullah ibni Sultan Ahmad Shah, the hereditary constitutional head of Pahang, has been elected as the new Malaysian king today (24th January), Bernama reports.
The Conference of Rulers had a meeting today at Istana Negara and has declared the 59-year-old as the 16th Yang di-Pertuan Agong, replacing the previous king, Sultan Muhammad V who stunned the country earlier this month with his sudden abdication.
According to the Keeper of the Rulers’ Seal, Sultan Abdullah Ri’ayatuddin of Pahang is next in line and he is expected to serve a 5-year term as the new monarch of Malaysia, beginning 31st January 2019.
The Sultan of Perak, Sultan Nazrin Shah remains as the Deputy Yang di-Pertuan Agong, the Keeper of the Rulers’ Seal.
To celebrate our country’s new king, here are 8 fast facts about Sultan Abdullah ibni Sultan Ahmad Shah.
1. He is the member of the FIFA Council.
2. He has been nominated to contest for the president’s post of the Asean Football Federation (AFF).
3. He is the president of the Football Association of Malaysia, a vice-president of the Asian Football Confederation (AFC) executive committee, and president of the Asian Hockey Federation.
4. He is the first son of Seri Paduka Ayahanda Sultan Ahmad Shah of Pahang.
5. Before becoming Sultan of Pahang in January 2019, Abdullah held the position of Tengku Mahkota, a position which was conferred on him by his father in 1975.
6. Abdullah was also appointed as Regent of Pahang twice. The first time was when his father was elected as Yang Di-Pertuan Agong in 1979.
View this post on Instagram
Caption: #TSroyals : Kacak kan ? Tiada hadiah siapa yang dapat teka siapa ini. Sedikit #throwback untuk menduli baginda Sultan Abdullah ditabalkan sebagai Sultan Pahang yang ke-enam hari ini. . Baginda lengkap berpakaian seragam rasmi pada tahun 1979 di Pahang. . Lihat gambar Baginda dan Permaisuri Tunku Azizah dan anak-anak mereka. . Sumber: Agensi Media . . Please follow Facebook : thestreets Twitter : thestreetsmy Instagram : thestreets.my . . #thestreets #thestreetsmy #malaysianews #malaysiabaru #malaysia #sultanpahang #pahang #sultanabdullah #localnews
7. He married his first wife Tunku Azizah Aminah in 1986. She is the third daughter of Sultan Iskandar of Johor with his first wife. They both have 4 sons and 2 daughters together.
8. In 1991, Abdullah married his second wife Cik Puan Julia Aishah, a former actress and daughter of Abdul Rais. They have 3 daughters together.