Meet the new Miss World 2018 – Vanessa Ponce de Leon.
The 26-year-old model beat out 117 hopefuls from around the world to claim the coveted title over the weekend in at the Sanya City Arena in Sanya, China. The runner up went to Miss Thailand, Nicolene Pichapa Limsnukan, while the 3rd place was Miss Uganda, Quiin Abenakyo.
“I can’t believe it. I really can’t believe it. And I think all the girls deserved it. I am proud to represent all of them. I will do as much as I can in the time I have got. Thank you so much, everyone,” she joyfully expressed backstage.
So what do we know about the young Mexican beauty that has just succeeded 2017’s Miss India Manushi Chhillar? There are plenty of info about Vanessa out there, but here are 10 interesting fun facts about her:
1. Vanessa was born on 7th March, 1992 and raised in the city of Guanajuato.
2. She is fluent in both Spanish and English.
3. She graduated with a Degree in International Business from the University of Guanajuato, earning a diploma in Human Rights. She’s also on the Board of Directors of a rehab centre for girls.
4. Vanessa works at a school called Nenemi which gives intercultural education to children from indigenous tribes.
5. “I am a woman who is always searching for a purpose. I believe in love, art and caring for others. I am a hard worker, a day dreamer and I am always trying to put a smile on the faces of the people I meet,” she once told Rappler. “I work with people with disabilities or girls that are going through rehab, and I just love it.”
6. Her hobbies include scuba dive, play volleyball and participate in ultimate frisbee. She also expresses her passion for art through painting.
7. Favorite TV show: “Downtown Abbey”.
8. Personal motto: “We all need each other“.
9. This isn’t her first title. She previously won “Mexico’s Next Top Model” Season 5 back in 2014.
10. Vanessa is the first Miss Mexico to be crowned Miss World. What an achievement!
11. The winning answer that help propel her to win the crown.
Question: When I became a Miss World, I was able to use my position to help people. How would you use your influence as Miss World to help others?
Answer: I would use my position just the way I’ve been doing it for the past 3 years – being an example. We all can be an example of good in the world, we all have to care, we all have to love, we all have to be kind. It don’t cost a thing. Helping is not that hard. We just really need the world to make a change. You just need to go there. There’s always someone that’ll need what you have to offer.