The Malaysian adaptation of K-Drama hit “The 1st Shop of Coffee Prince” (커피프린스 1호점) has begun filming yesterday and it is being directed by filmmaker Michael Ang. Tentatively titled “My Coffee Prince”, the series is set to air in November on Astro Ria.
For the uninitiated, MBC’s “The 1st Shop of Coffee Prince” revolves around the love life and dreams of 4 young people who meet and work together at a cafe. It mainly follows the unlikely romance between a tomboyish woman (played by Yoon Eun Hye) and a handsome food empire mogul (played by Gong Yoo). The K-Drama was very well-received and it earned numerous awards including “Best Drama” at the 20th Korea PD Awards.
However, the plot for the Malaysian version is still under wraps. So after some digging on the interweb, here are some fun facts about “My Coffee Prince”:
1. The series stars local heartthrob Fattah Amin as Rakyal (Gong Yoo’s character Han Gyeol) and actress Janna Nick as Dani (Yoon Eun Hye’s character Eun Chan).
2. Despite netizens’ protest, Michael Ang (of “Suri Hati Mr. Pilot” and “Hero Seorang Cinderella” fame) ultimately cast Fattah as the drama’s male lead. “Haters gonna hate,” the director said. “There’s bound to be people who like and dislike what I offer on the small screen.”
3. “My Coffee Prince” also stars Aaron Aziz and former screen legend Erra Fazira.
4. Filming began on Wednesday (2nd August).
5. According to NST, the much-buzzed-about adaptation would have 29 episodes.
6. Janna, who recently wrapped up a Malaysian-Indonesian drama series titled “Dia”, chopped off her hair for her tomboyish role. We think she rocks the boyish cut, don’t you agree? :)
What are your thoughts on “My Coffee Prince”? Let us know your thoughts in the comments below!