Batgirl aka Barbara Gordon has always been a fan favourite in the DC Extended Universe. Not much is known about the female character’s first solo live-action film other than it’s currently in the works and will be directed by Joss Whedon.
Although the director had previously expressed his interest to cast a fresh face to bring the titular character to live on the big screen, a recently leaked shortlist might reveal who Warner Bros. wants.
According to Reddit sub-group DCEU Leaks, an acquaintance was approached to work on some concept art for the film project. The source claims that Warner Bros. is hoping to finalised details to reveal the actress as a special announcement at next month’s San Diego Comic-Con.
Apparently the 9 actresses in consideration are:
- Elle Fanning (“Neon Demon”/”Live By Night”)
- Olivia Cooke (“Bates Motel”)
- Bella Thorne (“Shake It Up!”)
- Katherine Langford (“13 Reasons Why”)
- Margaret Qualley (“The Leftovers”)
- Jane Levy (“Don’t Breathe”)
- Emma Roberts (“Scream Queens”)
- Haley Lu Richardson (“Split”)
- Naomi Scott (“Power Rangers”)
The leaker also went on to say that Langford is believed to be the frontrunner, followed by Fanning, Levy, and Qualley. Judging from the list, it appears that Warner Bros. is aiming to introduce a younger Batgirl to moviegoers.
It is unclear how this would fit into the current DCEU lineup. Fans will just have to wait and see if this latest piece of information is legit.