Malaysian football player Mohd Faiz Subri’s glorious goal at the Penang vs. Pahang Super League match has been shortlisted for FIFA’s 2016 Puskás Award. The athlete’s goal was one of 10 shortlisted from thousands of goals scored between 30th September 2015 and 30th September 2016.
Established in October 2009, the award was named after legendary Real Madrid striker Ferenc Puskás and it aims to acknowledge the “most beautiful” goal of the year. Among those who have won the award in the past are Zlatan Ibrahmovic (2013), Neymar (2011), and Cristiano Ronaldo (2009).
Many media outlets, including The Independent, compared Faiz Subri’s freekick, which was said to have been struck in a “knuckleball” manner, to Roberto Carlos’ thunderbolt strike for Brazil against France in 1997. The Penang state government later rewarded him with RM10,000 for bringing worldwide recognition and glory to Penang and Malaysia.
According to Astro Awani, the top 10 contenders for this year’s Puskás award are:
- Mario Gaspar (ESP) – 13.11.2015, Spain v. England, international friendly
- Hlompho Kekana (RSA) – 26.03.2016, Cameroon v. South Africa, Africa Cup of Nations qualifier
- Marlone (BRA) – 21.04.2016, Corinthians v. Cobresal, Copa Libertadores
- Lionel Messi (ARG) – 21.06.2016, USA v. Argentina, Copa América Centenario semi-final
- Neymar (BRA) – 08.11.2015, Barcelona v. Villarreal, La Liga (Spain)
- Saúl Ñíguez (ESP) – 27.04.2016, Atlético Madrid v. Bayern Munich, UEFA Champions League
- Hal Robson-Kanu (WAL) – 01.07.2016, Wales v. Belgium, UEFA EURO 2016
- Daniuska Rodríguez (VEN) – 14.03.2016, Venezuela v. Colombia, South American U-17 Women’s Football Championship
- Simon Skrabb (FIN) – 31.10.2015, Gefle v. Åtvidaberg, Allsvenskan league, Sweden
- Mohd Faiz Subri (MAS) – 16.02.2016, Penang v. Pahang, Malaysia Super League
Watch Faiz Subri’s sensational goal here:
UPDATE (6th November, 1:30pm):
We have good news, peeps!
Mohd Faiz Subri has made it to the Top 3 for FIFA’s 2016 Puskás Award. The 29-year-old footballer is the first Malaysian and Asian to make it to the list and will be going head to head with Venezuela’s Daniuska Rodriguez and Brazil’s Marlone.
Witness his amazing free kick here:
#Malaysiaboleh! To vote for Faiz Subri, click here.
First phase of the voting closed on 2nd December and another round of voting has opened for the Top 3 contenders. The winning goal will be announced on 9th January 2017 in Zurich, Switzerland.