Production for HBO’s popular series is a little different this year. Since winter has already arrived in Westeros, filming for “Game of Thrones” season 7 will start later than usual as cooler weather is required for the show’s backdrop.
Next season will focus closely on Daenerys Targaryen’s attempt to invade Westeros, Jon Snow’s early days as King in the North, the White Walkers, and Cersei Lannister’s current reign on the Iron Throne. Very little is known about the plot, but a new casting call has surfaced online, offering info on several new characters.
Although these 9 new characters are super vague (no names were given, only generic titles), there’s still plenty to speculate on based on their description. If you don’t mind any potential spoilers, let’s get on with it.
Here are the list of roles as provided by Watchers on the Wall:
1. General, in the age range 40 – 55. He’s a senior military officer, and they’re looking for a white actor who has a British accent. The actor is needed for the week of 6th September.
2. Priest, in his 60’s. He’s a venerable priest with moral authority and gravitas. The show is seeking a white actor, using an RP accent, with characterful face for this part. He’s scheduled to shoot 1 week, from 22nd September.
3. Warrior, in the 35 – 45 age range. The character is a tough-looking bruiser with the attack skills of a pit bull, and the actor needs to be great at fighting. He has a “considerable” amount of dialogue as well. It’s described as an “excellent part for a top-end actor.” Helpful clues in the description? We know it’s not a Dothraki character as the actor for the role is required to be white, and they’re asking for a neutral and non-posh English accent. This role is currently scheduled to shoot across October.
4. Gate Guard, in his 20’s. The character is described as a “confident, characterful, straight-talking Northern lad with a great face to play across a very excellent series of scenes.” They’re looking someone with wit, timing, and charisma. He’s currently scheduled to film between mid-October and mid-November.
5. City Guard, in his 30’s. The show is casting for a city guard who intercepts a suspicious-looking person on his nightly patrol. They require an RP accent for this one. He’s set to shoot for a week in mid-October.
6. Merchant, in his 40’s. The merchant appears at an inn during a busy evening. They’re seeking a character actor, for a non-combatant role. His appearance is more open, including ethnicity/race. That suggests a character appearing somewhere in Essos- or a place we’ve never been before, since Daenerys is now on the move. This part is scheduled to shoot the 1st week of November.
7. Lovely Lady. Ah yes, what would Game of Thrones be without its courtesans and nudity. The show is casting for an attractive young courtesan who is sure of her own mind. It’s described as a “good speaking part” and casting notes that full nudity is required for the role. Similar to the merchant, the lovely lady’s physical appearance is open, indicating this role is for somewhere on Essos, or at a new location. She’s scheduled to shoot for 1 week in early October.
8. Young Lord in his late 20’s. He’s a tall, handsome young lord, and the show is looking for a white actor who uses the RP accent. He’s scheduled to shoot in the week commencing 20th September.
9. Lieutenant, in his 20’s. The character is described as an athletic, physically fit, and disciplined warrior. Appearance-wise, they’re looking for someone not white, with Middle Eastern descent mentioned. This bears the hallmarks of a Dothraki character description. He’s set to shoot several days across 3 weeks, between mid-September and mid-November.
The majority of these characters will only be shooting for a short time; an indication that perhaps they’ll only be appearing in an episode or 2 before (probably) getting axed. It’s worth noting that the “Lieutenant,” “Gate Guard”, and “Warrior”, won’t just be a simple cameo as the actors are set to shoot for approximately 1 month.
There’s also a lot of mention of RP (received pronunciation aka Queen’s English) which means the city will be getting some new characters to replace the ones which Cersei got rid of.