Some of us have a soft spot for green tea – anything green tea. Many consume green tea drinks for its many health benefits such as increasing metabolism and losing weight.
But health benefits aside, adding green tea in treats has become an in-thing in today’s Malaysian food culture. Many restaurants and cafes have taken this Japanese favourite and expounded it into many forms of green tea flavoured desserts. Here’s a list of delectable green tea desserts you ought to try if you’re a matcha lover.
1. Green Tea Soufflé @ Franco
Formerly known as Miam Miam, Franco is a contemporary French-Japanese restaurant that offers a variety of green tea desserts on its menu. The popular green tea soufflé is a favourite among many. Keeping the refined vanilla base, a hint of matcha powder is added to heighten the taste of the soufflé. The dessert is light and airy on the exterior while the creamy green interior is warm and soft.
- Address: G-11, Avenue K, 156 Jalan Ampang, 50450, KL (Available at several outlets nationwide)
- Hours: 10am – 10pm daily
- Tel: +603-2181 2808
- Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/FrancoMalaysia/
2. Green Tea Butter @ Mei by Fat Spoon
Tired of eating the usual butter and chocolate croissants? Perhaps a warm croissant spread over the sweet and creamy homemade matcha butter is the dessert you never you knew you needed – until now. Another must-try dish is Mei by Fat Spoon’s green tea crème brulee. The creamy custard comes with a scoop black sesame ice cream that will surely satisfy every dessert lover.
- Address: 22G, Jalan 27/70A, Desa Sri Hartamas, Kuala Lumpur
- Hours: 11am – 10pm, Tues – Sun
- Tel: +603-2300 3327
- Facebook page: http://facebook.com/meibyfatspoon
3. Japanese mochi/ Green Tea Waffles @ Square Q Cafe
Based in Solaris Mont Kiara, Square Q Cafe adopts a “I’m Not Waffle” tagline because the famous snack they serve looks like a waffle but isn’t exactly a waffle. Made of glutinous rice flour and milk, the texture of the snack is crispy on the outside and chewy inside, so it ends up tasting akin to Japanese mochi. With various flavours to choose from, we reckon that the green tea snack makes a great combo with the ice cream toppings and fruits.
- Address: Square Q Cafe: I’m Not Waffle, 11, Jalan Solaris 3, Solaris Mont Kiara, 50480 Kuala Lumpur
- Hours: 11am – 11pm on Mon – Thurs, 11am – midnight on Fri, 10:30am – midnight on Sat, 10:30am – 11pm on Sun. Closed on Tuesdays.
- Tel: +603-6206 4828
- Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/MySquareQ/
4. Matcha Molten Cake @ Softcore
Also known as the molten cake shop, Softcore, is famous for their delicious and affordable molten cakes. The matcha molten cake oozes gooey matcha cream when you pry it open. There’s also a scoop of vanilla ice cream that comes along with a side of red bean paste, candied calamansi, and sesame tuile.
- Pork Free
- Address: No.56 Jalan PJS 11/7, Bandar Sunway, Selangor, 46150
- Hours: Mon – Fri, 11:30am – 11pm. Sat – Sun, 11:30am – 4pm, 6pm – 11pm
- Tel: 03-5613 7273
- Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/gooeyness/
5. Green Tea Gateaux Chocolate Parfait @ Nana’s Green Tea
The Matcha “Gateaux Chocolat” Parfait is a stunning artisan dessert that has a base layer of Kanten jelly, vanilla ice cream, cornflakes, matcha ice cream, red bean paste, a drizzle of Matcha syrup, and topped with a swirl of whipped cream. This sinful visual delight is best savoured with everything together using the long spoon provided to better enjoy the different textures and flavours.
- Address: Lot 231A, Lower Ground Floor, The Gardens Mall, Mid Valley City, Lingkaran Syed Putra, 59200 Kuala Lumpur (Available at several outlets nationwide)
- Hours: 10am – 10pm daily
- Tel: +603-2386 6036
- Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/nanasgreentea.com.my
6. Matcha Lava Cake @ Okonomi
That moment when a stream of molten filling flows (Let it flow, let it flow, can’t hold it back anymore) out of a Matcha Lava Cake is such a pleasurable experience for matcha lovers. Served warm with a centre that oozes out molten lave when you cut the fluffy cake open, this indulgent treat is accompanied by a scoop of vanilla ice cream and matcha chocolate. Simply perfection!
- Address: Okonomi, A4-G2-02 Solaris, Dutamas, No.1 Jalan Dutamas, Publika, 50480 KL.
- Hours: 11am – 11pm Daily.
- Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/OkonomiFoods/
7. O-matcha Soft Ice Cream @ Tsujiri
For the uninitiated, Tsujiri is a Japanese traditional tea brand, established back in 1860 by Riemon Tsuji in Uji in Kyoto, Japan. For more than 150 years, the franchise have been serving all kinds of green tea goodness. Since making their way to our local shores earlier this year, people have been going cray over their signature O-matcha soft serve ice cream. Served in a cone, parfaits, or in a cup, this creamy dessert is the perfect remedy to cool down from the humid weather.
- Address: 58, Damansara Uptown, Jalan SS 21/58, Damasara Utama, 47400 Selangor.
- Hours: 1pm – 11pm on Mon – Thurs; 1pm – midnight on Fri & Sat, 12pm – 11pm on Sun.
- Tel: +603-7733 5541
- Facebook page: http://tsujiri.my/index.html
Did we miss out on any other yummilicious favourites? If you know of any restaurants or cafes that serve delicious green tea desserts, drop us a note in the comments below ;)