Remember the Low Yat Plaza brawl that broke out last month? You know, the one that caused an even bigger disturbance at the IT mall the next day?

The story was that a group of youth barged into the mall and caused a fiasco in a smartphone store on a Saturday (11th July) night to seek revenge against the sales clerks who caught them shoplifting and turned one of them over to the police earlier that day. The thugs smashed glass displays, flipped over cabinets, and smashed phones as well as other electronic products belonging to an Oppo store. The store’s sales clerks tried to stop them but ended up in an all-out brawl on the ground floor of the mall.


A Low Yat Plaza salesman See Ming Ho, who was also at the scene, claimed that the group attacked the workers from the Oppo store for aiding him in handing one of the them over to the police after allegedly caught shoplifting. According to See, the man who started the fight was “on the pretence of looking at phones” earlier that day. “We were negotiating and when I then turned away to get a free gift for him, he was gone,” See said.


However, the stolen phone, which was a Lenovo S860 worth RM799, was not found on the man after he was caught. See Ming Ho lodged a police report on the theft at the Dang Wangi police station.

Well, the verdict is out, apparently, for the salesmen who apprehended the thief.

According to a report by The Star Online, 3 mobile phone salesman were fined RM1,800 each for committing assault. In the event that they do not pay the fines, the court also meted out a default jail term of 2 months for each of them. However, they paid the fine.

Magistrate Muhamad Faizal Ismail sentenced Low Leong Seng, 29, Eric Chan Weng, 23, and Soo Weng Hing, 26, after they admitted to the charge on Monday (10th August). The 3 men, who work for a telecommunication shop, committed the offences following the purported shoplifting incident on 11th July. Low, Chan, and Soo were jointly accused of causing injury to Shahrul Anuar Abdul Aziz, 22, at Level G in Plaza Low Yat.


The statement of facts showed that complainant Mohamad Khairul Azmi Mazlan went to a handphone shop in Low Yat Plaza to look for his handphone. His friend Shahrul Anuar followed to help in the search but they failed to find the device. Mohamad Khairul, 22, and Shahrul Anuar then split up. He went down to the ground floor via an escalator when suddenly he heard a commotion and people shouted that a man had stolen a handphone and asked people to nab the person.

Upon reaching the scene, he saw Shahrul Anuar was beaten by a group of workers and tried to help his friend. Instead, the group had accused him for abetting Shahrul Anuar and began to beat him.

On 14th July, Shahrul claimed trial to stealing a Lenovo S860 smartphone, valued at RM800, from a shop at the plaza. His case was fixed for mention on 14th August.

Source: The Star Online.

Previous article#TheJoker: Heath Ledger’s Diary From “The Dark Knight” Resurfaces Online
Next articleHype’s Now Playing: Cash Cash ft Busta Rhymes, B.o.B & Neon Hitch – Devil
Eats, sleeps, & breathes music, but drinks mostly coffee & okay, some wine - sometimes, a little too much. A little too obsessed with the number seven, is deathly afraid of horror movies, believes that she writes better than she speaks, & currently feeling a little strange writing a profile about herself.