Malaysian motorists, take note!
The “Stormwater Management And Road Tunnel” or “SMART Tunnel” will start implementing an electronic toll collection system via only the Touch ‘n Go or SmartTAG for faster payments soon. The announcement was made via their official Twitter just today:
2140hrs Pembayaran Tol secara elektronik sepenuhnya di Smart tidak lama lagi. Hotline Smart 1300 88 7188 pic.twitter.com/VJlMmfG713ADVERTISEMENT
— Smart Tunnel (@Smarttunnel) July 17, 2015
According to SMART Tunnel’s chief operating officer, Mohd Fuad Kamal Ariffin, Touch ‘n Go cards will be sold in toll lanes especially to those who do not have the card.
The shift to an electronic toll collection system is in line with 11 other toll plazas that will also go fully electronic beginning 9th September. They are as follows:
- Jitra Toll Plaza, North-South Expressway (PLUS)
- Bukit Kayu Hitam Toll Plaza (PLUS)
- Lunas Toll Plaza, Butterworth-Kulim Expressway (BKE)
- Kubang Semang Toll Plaza (BKE)
- Penang Bridge Toll Plaza
- Gombak Toll Plaza, Kuala Lumpur-Karak Highway (KLK).
- Bentong Toll Plaza (KLK)
- Dato Keramat Toll Plaza, Ampang–Kuala Lumpur Elevated Highway (AKLEH)
- Ayer Panas Toll Plaza, Duta-Ulu Kelang Expressway (DUKE)
- Sentul Pasar Toll Plaza (DUKE)
- Batu Toll Plaza (DUKE)
Queries regarding the implementation of this system can be directed to the MHA hotline at 1-800-88-7752 or any highway service centre.