In August, it was rumoured that Sony was considering Paul Feig (of “Bridesmaids” fame) to direct the new Ghostbusters movie and that the film will be a “reboot focusing on female Ghostbusters”. At that time, nothing could be set in stone but Paul Feig was said to be Sony’s first choice for the job.
And now, we hear that the all-female “Ghostbusters” reboot is officially a go!
THR first reported the news, which Paul Feig confirmed in a tweet.
The director announced that he’ll team up with “The Heat” writer Katie Dippold to make the film, which has been the talk of the town for months:
It’s official. I’m making a new Ghostbusters & writing it with @katiedippold & yes, it will star hilarious women. That’s who I’m gonna call.
— Paul Feig (@paulfeig) October 8, 2014
As previously mentioned, Feig was Sony’s front-runner for the directing gig after Ivan Reitman exited the project in March.
In September, Reitman told HuffPost Live that Feig was “perfect” for the job:
There were always going to be women involved in the next iteration of ‘Ghostbusters.’ Paul seems to be the perfect director to sort of bring that about.ADVERTISEMENT
An all-female “Ghostbusters” movie? Talk about a highly unexpected twist! The reboot is slated to to kick off production in 2015.
No word on the release just yet.