Extreme angler, freshwater detective and biologist Jeremy Wade takes viewers on an all-new spine-tingling, mystery-filled freshwater monster hunting expedition in RIVER MONSTERS 6. Premiering Tuesday, July 8 at 10pm on Discovery Channel (Astro Channel 551), the six-part series is one of his most challenging, with Jeremy having to travel over the course of a year to extremely remote locations across the Amazon to get to the bottom of inexplicable mysteries surrounding some of the deadliest human attacks by the most vicious RIVER MONSTERS on the planet.
The amount of water flowing through the Amazon is greater than the flow of Ganges, Congo, Mississippi, Nile and Yangtze – combined. These tropical waters are so abundant that the concentration of fish species is 10,000 times that of the ocean, and this includes some very real RIVER MONSTERS.
“I’ve been fishing the world for decades, but it’s the Amazon that keeps calling me back. Now, I’m returning to solve the mission of a lifetime to spend an entire year going farther, deeper and more remote than I’ve even been before,” notes Jeremy.
Some of this season’s mysteries include:
- Man-Eating Monster: All over the Amazon are stories of a monster fish that grows so large, it is believed to have swallowed men whole. Locals call it the lau-lau, but after 20 years of searching, from Peru to Brazil and Colombia, the evidence Jeremy needs – a single colossal specimen, stills eludes him. Now, he has discovered a secret, untouched location deep in Guyana’s remote rainforests where he suspects they may be thriving. Embedding himself in the wild jungle, this time it is different: he is not coming back until he catches it.
- Brazil – Amazon Apocalypse: In 1981, more than 200 passengers perished without a trace when the Sobral Santos – supposedly the safest river boat – sunk in the middle of the night in the deepest part of the Amazon, many rumoured to have been eaten alive in the water. If this was in fact the work of a river monster, this catastrophe would have a greater death toll than all of Jeremy’s other investigations – combined. Jeremy goes to extreme lengths to crack the mystery, travelling hundreds of miles across the Amazon, Rio Negro and Padauiri rivers to unearth the beast behind this massive attack.
- Bone Crusher: When a corpse with highly unusual injuries is found, Jeremy instinctively knows that he is on the trail of possibly a new monster. He soon learns the dead body is only the tip of the iceberg – there has also been a spate of unexplained disappearances and people have seen a huge unknown creature patrolling the water. Could all these three factors be connected? To solve this mystery, Jeremy confronts one of his biggest fears and encounters a river monster that he has never dealt with before.
- Body Snatcher: In the remote rivers of Guyana, Jeremy is on the hunt for a new candidate for largest freshwater ‘fish’ in the world – a predatory freshwater mermaid. Could there be some truth behind the legendary Water Mama, which is said to be responsible for chilling reports of people vanishing, with their bodies never to have been found? Locals believe this long-haired, white-skinned creature lures people from the surface and drags them down into the depths.
For fans who are hooked and cannot wait for the new season to reel in, relive the most petrifying moments of RIVER MONSTERS seasons 1 to 5 daily, Mondays to Fridays, starting May 12 through to June 30 at 8pm. RIVER MONSTERS 6 encores every Wednesday at 3 pm and Sunday at 3pm and 11pm.
In conjunction with the premiere of the all-new River Monsters season 6, Discovery Channel is giving away River Monsters books, autographed by Jeremy Wade, plus exclusive River Monsters goodie bags to FIVE of Jeremy’s biggest fans! To stand a chance to win, simply tell us:
- When does River Monsters 6 premiere on Discovery Channel (Astro Channel 551)?
- In 20 words or less, tell us why you are Jeremy’s biggest fan! Get creative!
- E-mail your entries by 14th July 2014 to [email protected]
- Subject of the email: Contest – Discovery Channel River Monsters 6.
Terms and conditions:
- There will be no winners list announcement. Winners will be contacted via e-mail.
- Winners are required to pick up the prizes from our office.
- Contest is open to those residing in Selangor and Kuala Lumpur only.
- Prizes are strictly non-transferable. Hype Malaysia reserves the right to refuse the collection of prizes for those who attempt to transfer it from one contest winner (in whose name it is registered) to another person.
- Organisers reserve the right to amend the terms and conditions of this contest at their own discretion without prior notice.
- The judges’ decision is final, conclusive, and no further correspondence shall be entertained.
- Submissions close on 18th July (Friday) 1pm.
For more information, hit up River Monsters’ Facebook page.