In 2009, Cube Entertainment announced the creation of a K-Pop idol girl group that will soon be one of the biggest girl groups in Korea. The only issue is, they hadn’t known it yet at that time. Consisting of five members, Ji-hyun, Ga-yoon, Ji-yoon, Hyun-a (aka HyunA), and So-hyun, the group was introduced as 4Minute at their first debut stage in June 2009 on M! Countdown.
Their first single, “Hot Issue” was promoted from the day of its release until their mini album, “For Muzik”, was launched – from June until the end of August. The second single off “For Muzik” titled “Muzik” did so well that it helped 4Minute win some of the first few awards, namely the Mutizen and the Mnet award. Since then, the group has received the Bonsang Award at the 20th Seoul Music Awards in January 2011 and the “Kpop New Artist Award” at the 2010 Billboard Japan Music Awards in February 2011.
To date, 4Minute has released on Korean full-length album, three Korean mini-albums, one Japanese full album, six Japanese singles, and various Korean singles. 4Minute was supposed to have made their comeback in January last year but it was postponed to March.
Cube Entertainment explained that it was because the group was still trying out new songs, taking a shot at other genres, and working hard at making the other tracks in the album as good as the title song. Towards the end of March, the official title track off the long-awaited mini album was released. And finally, after all that waiting, the girls released their third mini album, “Volume Up”, was released in April 2012:
[youtube id=”qsWl1–Niyg” width=”600″ height=”350″]
Both the title track and the music video for the title track received such rave reviews that it put 4Minute right back on the map of the Korean music industry. On top of that, the girls are also currently in the running to bag the “Disk Album of The Year” award for “Volume Up” at “Samsung GALAXY The 27th Golden Disk Awards in Kuala Lumpur”!
Other facts about 4Minute as follows:
- It took 4Minute leader Ji-hyun only six months as a trainee before she was chosen to lead the group.
- 4Minute’s “maknae”, So-hyun has one other musical talent – she can play the piano. In fact, she has been playing the piano since she was little.
- So-hyun was in the group Orange (2005) before she debuted with 4Minute . The group had one song entitled, “Our Star”.
- HyunA was previously a member of Wonder Girls. But her training really started when she was as young as only eight years old.
- Gayoon has been a singer since she was in high school. Her current hobby is to write lyrics when she has time off her schedule.
- As a group, they have one similar habit – they collect hotel keys from their travels away from home for work.
- Cube Entertainment has announced the plan to debut the sub-unit, “SsangYoon” (DoubleYoon), composed of members Gayoon and Jiyoon, in mid-January 2013.
Here’s another fact: 4minute is slated to make an appearance at “Samsung GALAXY The 27th Golden Disk Awards in Kuala Lumpur” (GDA).
To purchase tickets, hit up TicketPro or any of their participating outlets right now! Tickets to the event are available in three tiers, priced at RM999 (Samsung GALAXY Zone), RM688 (Rockpit), and RM199 (Hallyu Zone). We hear that tickets are going to go fast so hurry!
For more information, visit their official website.