There’s one K-Pop idol group that’s so huge, it’s impossible to ignore. The sheer number of members in the group, their undying popularity, and the total number of awards that they’ve won in their musical career. In fact, this SM Entertainment idol group is so huge, we don’t really know where to begin profiling its 13 members – at least we know for a fact that at their peak, they had 13 members.
Super Junior originally debuted in 2005 with 12 members consisting of leader Leeteuk, Heechul, Han Geng, Yesung, Kangin, Shindong, Sungmin, Eunhyuk, Siwon, Donghae, Ryeowook, and Kibum. In 2006, Kyunhyun joined the group. It was said that Super Junior, unlike most K-Pop idol groups, would experience line-up changes off and on again, with new members replacing selected members every year to keep the group “fresh”. Hence the rotations that followed suit over the years.
The boys first appeared on Inkigayo in November 2005 but it wasn’t until the release of “Sorry, Sorry” that Super Junior received international recognition. “Sorry, Sorry” was their best-selling single all throughout 2009 and eventually made them the best-selling K-Pop artistes for three years in a row. In addition to that, the group earned a whopping total of 11 Mnet Asian Music Awards trophies and 12 from the Golden Disk Awards. Just this year, Super Junior was nominated for MTV Europe Music Awards’ “Best Asian Act”. Ace!
Since then, Super Junior has gone through major changes e.g. divided into smaller subgroups to target different music industries and audiences, dealing with the departure/hiatus of some of their members. And to date, Super Junior has nine active members, Yesung, Kangin, Shindong, Sungmin, Eunhyuk, Siwon, Donghae, Ryeowook, and Kyuhyun. In June 2012, the super group released sixth album, “Sexy, Free & Single”, with a title track of the same name:
[youtube id=”gWIkiI_UmeE” width=”600″ height=”350″]
The album debuted at first place on the Gaon Chart and it stayed there for three weeks in a row. In two months, “Sexy, Free & Single” sold about 459,182 copies. It came as no surprise when we heard that Super Junior is currently in the running to bag the “Disk Album of The Year” award for “Sexy, Free & Single” at “Samsung GALAXY The 27th Golden Disk Awards in Kuala Lumpur”!
Other facts about Super Junior as follows:
- In 2009, Hankyung filed a lawsuit against SM Entertainment claiming that the provisions of his contract were unlawful, harsh, and against his rights. He left Super Junior after he won it.
- When Eunhyuk was younger, he joined a beauty competition where the (male) contestants had to dress up and act like females.
- Ryeowook can play the piano and he plays it well.
- Sungmin likes to cook for his Super Junior members. But when he’s cooking, no one is allowed in the kitchen.
- In 2007, Super Junior was involved in a car accident that required some of its members to be hospitalized. Eunhyuk, who wore a cast and then a bandage for several weeks after that, still has the scars on his hand.
- Leeteuk once confessed that when he was much younger, his ambition was to someday become nurse.
- Donghae has phasmophobia, also known as the fear of ghosts. Because of that, he sleeps with a nightlight.
Here’s another fact: Super Junior is slated to make an appearance at “Samsung GALAXY The 27th Golden Disk Awards in Kuala Lumpur” (GDA).
To purchase tickets, hit up TicketPro or any of their participating outlets right now! Tickets are priced at RM999 (Samsung GALAXY Zone) and RM688 (Rockpit). We hear that tickets are going to go fast so hurry!
For more information, visit their official website.