A new Japanese super boy group is in town! Introducing PSYCHIC FEVER from EXILE TRIBE! After a year of releasing pre-debut singles exclusively on YouTube, the band finally officially debuted recently on 13th July with their single “Choose One” accompanied by the music video on the same day. Formed in 2019, the band consists of the highest achieving talents from EXPG STUDIO (an LDH-run dance academy) from all across Japan.
As a way to promote their brand and music, PSYCHIC FEVER from EXILE TRIBE will be in Thailand for 6 months working alongside prominent Thai rapper and music producer, F.Hero starting this August. We recently spoke with the members; Tsurugi, Ryoga Nakanishi, Ren Watanabe, JIMMY, Kokoro Kohatsu, Ryushin Handa and WEESA where they shared all about “Choose One”, their debut album “P.C.F” and their plans for the future.
1. Congratulations on debuting! Since PSYCHIC FEVER just debuted, would you mind telling us about the group? How the group was formed and the meaning behind the name ‘PSYCHIC FEVER’?
PSYCHIC FEVER is a dance, vocal, rock, beatbox boyband. As the name suggests, we are a supernatural phenomenon, triggered by the chemistry between 7 people.
2. How has the journey been for you guys going from training to pre-debut to finally debut? What have you learned throughout the whole process?
We’ve all been training across different areas all over Japan even before we came together as a group, so it has been a long journey. In the 3 years since we formed the band, we have improved our dance and vocal skills and learnt a lot of other performing skills such as how we can hype up the audience. This was through many performances at our senior artists’ concerts and our own events.
3. Could you share the inspiration behind your debut song, “Choose One”? What is the song about?
We wanted the song to convey the idea of “All of the members working together to make our shared dream come true”. We want to strive forward together with our listeners. It’s a song that embodies those feelings.
4. How is “Choose One” different from your pre-debut singles?
Before our debut, we couldn’t distribute our songs outside of YouTube, but this time, we’ll be releasing an album.
5. Could you walk us through the concept and story of the music video for the debut single?
The music video was shot in Okinawa, our member KOKORO’s hometown. The storyline is “A precious bag was taken away, so we have to go and get it back”. We were also acting in the MV, so it almost feels like a film. There is no definitive answer, but we hope that those who watch the MV can come up with their own answer.
6. Were there any challenges or funny stories during filming of the music video?
During the shoot, there was extremely heavy rain. There’s a scene where we had to run, so we had to take extra care not to slip. We filmed about 40 takes of the dance part too, so we danced a lot.
7. Your debut album also includes your pre-debut singles as well as new tracks. What can fans expect from “P.C.F”?
As mentioned in the earlier question, we haven’t been able to release anything outside of YouTube, so our songs that could previously only be heard at live performances will now be available on all major digital streaming services as well as physical CDs, so we hope that the fans will be looking forward to that.
8. We understand that you have plans to travel and perform overseas. Other than your show in Thailand with BALLISTIK BOYZ, where else will PSYCHIC FEVER perform?
While we don’t have any plans just yet, we’d like to do a world tour. Many of the members take inspiration from American culture, so we’d also like to perform in the US.
9. Speaking of Thailand, you’ll be working alongside prominent Thai rapper and music producer, F.Hero. Could you tell us more about the collaboration and future projects?
We have plans to work with Thai artists to make music, as well as a reality TV show. In order to entertain both our Japanese fans and our audience across the globe, we’ll be sending more info through our social media so FOLLOW US!
10. Is there a specific country or perhaps venue that you’d love to perform at one day?
We want to do a world stadium tour, that is our biggest dream especially in the US. We also want to do a live performance at Sofi Stadium in Los Angeles because we want to try to perform in front of a big audience. We should make our service and entertainment to people worldwide. Recently, the venue is the hottest ever.
11. For each member, ‘Choose One’ item you’d always bring with you whenever you travel.
REN: Hand cream
RYUSHIN: Japanese snacks and drinks
WEESA: I’d choose a laptop so that I am able to listen to music, GPS, do notes. It is life-saving!
12. There’s a lot of competition in the industry. As a newly debut group, what do you hope to bring and achieve for the future of music?
We want to bring our performances all the way, packed with vigour and beatboxing, all around the world while carrying the spirit of EXILE. We also want to make it to the top of Billboard Global 200, which had been our big dream.
13. Speaking of the industry, there’s also a lot of expectations in how or what an artist should be. What are your thoughts on this issue or perhaps plans in tackling them?
We’ve taken inspiration from so many other artists. We have found our dreams through them, been moved by them, and have decided to become artists ourselves. As PSYCHIC FEVER, and as LDH artists, we want to bring you as much Love, Dream & Happiness (LDH) as we can.
14. To all members, any final words you’d like to say to your fans?
TSURUGI: I’m going to keep pushing forward towards our big goals, so we can share a great view someday!
RYOGA: I want everyone to look forward to PSYCHIC FEVER’s future releases.
REN: We, PSYCHIC FEVER, will keep sending out our unique entertainment to the world and keep working as one team to make our dreams come true together with our fans. Please stay tuned for what’s coming next.
JIMMY: I will do my very best, so please root for PSYCHIC FEVER!!
KOKORO: I will keep pursuing our dream of taking the top of Billboard Global 200 chart. We won’t let you down.
RYUSHIN: I will strive to realize our amazing visions and dreams with my members and everyone who support us! Please keep checking us out to see where we go!
WEESA: I will keep working my hardest, so we can give our PSYCHIC FEVER’s performance around the world! We’d love you to check us out for what’s coming next!